The notification for Special Class Railway Apprentice Examination (SCRA) has been released recently and it is obvious that thousands of candidates would look forward to participate in this examination and book a railway job to their name. However, a consideration which needs to be made by all the participating candidates is the eligibility criteria. The UPSC department has specifically mentioned that every candidate must satisfy the eligibility criteria for considering his/ her selection process to be valid. The following article is intended to put some light on the same.
UPSC SCRA Eligibility Criteria 2016
A candidate must satisfy 3 broad criteria, namely, criteria of Nationality, Criteria of Age limit and Criteria of Educational Qualification. Here is an exhaustive analysis of the same-
Criteria of Nationality
The first criteria is in respect of the nationality of a candidate. Only those candidates who are of Indian Origin or have been permanently residing in India are eligible to apply for the post. A candidate must be under one of the given categories-
- A person of Indian Origin from Indian sub-continent or East Africa, who has now come to India and intends to stay here permanently.
- A citizen of India
- A Tibetan Refugee, whose earlier generation/s had come to India prior to 1 January 1962 and is residing in India, since then.
- A subject of Bhutan
- A subject of Nepal
Criteria of Age Limit
The second criteria for UPSC SCRA is respect of the candidate’s age. The department has clearly mentioned that the age of a candidate should be in between 17 years to 21 years. However, there are certain category of people who would enjoy age relaxation in this respect.
|Other Backward Caste||3 years|
|Candidates domiciled (ordinarily) in J & K||5 years|
|Disabled defence personnel||3 years|
|Schedule Tribe or Caste||5 years|
|Orthopaedically handicapped persons||10 years|
Criteria for Educational Qualification
The final criteria for UPSC SCRA Exam 2016 in this section is the educational qualification. A candidate must have cleared the Pre-Engineering exam with either first or second division from a recognized Board/ University.
Fulfilling the above mentioned criteria will allow a candidate to become eligible for the UPSC SCRA examination. Nevertheless, there are also some other considerations which the candidates must follow. They are:
- Objective type questions paper- The questions in the exam would be objective-type. This means that the questions will have four options and a candidate would be required to choose the right one from the given options. This exam is also known as MCQ exam.
- Negative marking for wrong answers- Another perspective of this exam is that there will be negative marking for every wrong answer. A candidate will have to bear the penalty of 0.25 marks for every wrong answer. Hence, answers should be marked with precision.
- Selection Process- The selection process of the candidates will be made under two levels of examination. The first level will be the written test and the second level would be the personality test.
Candidates who have fulfilled the eligibility criteria can proceed with the online application process of UPSC SCRA.